The Adaptable Data Center
Flexible and powerful processing platforms enable rapid innovation in the data center and cloud
The last decade has seen the emergence of a new global market for cloud computing, which delivers computing services over the Internet to billions of users around the globe. The trend towards computing in the cloud represents a fundamental shift in the way people use computers. The cloud offers enterprises the means to shift tasks from their local IT infrastructure into remote, optimized computing clusters and into the hands of the cloud services provider. For consumers, the cloud delivers video, messaging, social networking, gaming, music, web search, voice-based assistance and many other services seamlessly, across diverse computing devices, anywhere in the world. Cloud computing grows each day both in size and in the sheer diversity of the services provided. Three key factors contribute to the need for adaptable intelligent computing in the data center:
- An explosion in the volume of unstructured data that’s now captured and analyzed, particularly image and video content. The analysis of unstructured data increases the computing burden on data centers.
- The emergence of artificial intelligence integrated into applications is driving a rapidly growing need for machine learning training and inference. These new capabilities create a dramatically greater computing workload for data centers.
- The demise of Moore’s Law has spawned the era of accelerators. The increasing diversity and breadth of data center applications is requiring different, optimized accelerator architectures, while the speed of innovation is outpacing silicon design cycles.
Xilinx offers highly flexible and adaptive processing platforms that enable innovation in compute, storage and networking within the Data Center:
- Compute Acceleration
- Data Analytics
- Genomic Analysis for Precision Medicine
- Video & Image Processing
- Machine Learning
- Computational Storage
- NVMe Flash memory over fabric
- Near memory computing
- Workload-optimized SSDs
- Network Acceleration & SmartNICs
- Deep Packet Inspection
- Artificial Intelligence
Today, application developers and system designers alike can access highly adaptive Xilinx technology in the public cloud for both development and deployment of solutions. Xilinx FPGAs are available from many of the world’s most capable cloud service providers.